IT asset disposition (ITAD) refers to the process of disposing of remarketing obsolete or outdated equipment through secure and environmentally responsible practices.
In today’s technology-centered society, electronics are constantly being upgraded and improved.
Electronics can’t be discarded into regular waste or recycling bins because screens, hardware, and other components of devices may contain hazardous material that can harm the environment.
Retired electronics need to be disposed of responsibly in order to protect data security and minimize potential negative impact on the environment.
How does ITAD work?
When old equipment reaches end-of-life, ITAD processes provide lifecycle management of these assets. When a device is no longer wanted it can be either recycled or data wiped for remarketing.
Here is a breakdown of the IT asset disposition process:
- Receiving: Assets are weighed then categorized by material class.
- 3-day sort: All material is checked in by make, model, serial, and weight.
- Processing: Final disposition is determined through testing and data eradication.
- Data security: All assets containing data are either wiped for resale or physically destroyed.
- Quality check: A verification process is performed on randomly selected assets for quality control.
- Final disposition: Assets are directed to the appropriate department for wholesale, individual sales, or recycling.
What is included in ITAD services?
- Data destruction and sanitization
- Asset tracking and reporting
- Electronics recycling
Data Destruction and Sanitization
Data is destroyed based on the determined level of security and customer’s preferred method of either clearing, purging, or physical destruction by shredding. ITAD companies should be certified to securely wipe data bearing assets and the data eradication software they use should be compliant with NIST SP 800-88.
Asset Tracking and Reporting
Once retired electronics are received be an ITAD facility they should be tracked and assigned corresponding documentation to supplement the transport of your devices with auditable reports, such as a certification of data destruction.
Environmentally hazardous scraps from end-of-life assets are recycled in a responsible manner. There are certifications that ITAD companies can obtain to verify their adherence to recycling compliance. For example, R2 (Responsible Recycling) demonstrates compliance with Seri Electronics Recycling International (SERI) regulations.
Logistics services of ITAD are related to the transportation of assets from one location to another destination.
What can ITAD services provide for you?
- Auditability and reporting: Have your unwanted equipment tracked and documented during each stage of the IT asset disposition process.
- Profit sharing: Refurbish or resell your assets at the highest value.
- Protect your information with certified data destruction services: Be assured that confidential information will be wiped safely from your devices. IT asset disposition protects sensitive data types such as HIPAA, CUI, PCI, and ITAR.
- Eco-friendly: Mitigate risk by choosing to dispose of your retired IT asset through a clean and green recycling process.
What to consider when choosing an ITAD company
- Reputation: Does the ITAD company have expertise in the industry? Verify that their IT asset disposition process shows they are knowledgeable and deserve your trust.
- Scope of services: Is the ITAD company able to provide customer service through all stages until final disposition? Do they operate locally, nationally, or globally? Be sure that the services offered meet all circumstances of your needs.
- Possession of certifications: Does the ITAD company and their downstream vendors have certifications that show their data sanitization and recycling procedures meet compliance regulations? Check if your prospective ITAD partner has certifications such as R2, NIST SP 800-88, ISO 14001:2015, and ISO 9001:2015.
Want to request information about our certified nationwide ITAD services? Fill out our contact form and we will be in touch to discuss how we can meet your ITAD needs.